Friday, April 21, 2006

Public Service Announcement

I have a beef, a complaint, a full out whine. The internet is mature at this point. It is constantly changing and reinventing itself, but as a medium I think we can all agree that it's no longer NEW. E-mail has been around just as long, if not longer. Can we all agree at this point to stop forwarding stupid stuff around to each other. I mean, if you are a friend of mine and you want to send me pictures of your kids, I am more than happy to see them. However if you send me something about Microsoft tracking my e-mail and sending me a check it is going to piss me off and make me think you are stupid. You find a news story that you think I will relate to? Send it over, I love to read interesting stuff, but if you send me something about a cancer kid trying to raise money by circling an e-mail around the globe I am going to get annoyed. It is the difference between personal contact and wasting my time. I have a friend who edits a newspaper, so when I see stuff that relates to his general geography I shoot it over to him. For one reason, to let him know I am thinking about him and give a crap about what's going on in his life. Secondly, because I know he will usually have some juicy tid bit that didn't make the paper. My brother and I are Jets fans. When we see something that we are excited about (rare) or something that makes our stomachs turn (often) we tell each other about it, because that has personal value. A silly forward about a missing girl that isn't really missing is just disrespectful of everyone's time.

I know this has been written about before, but I just find spam irritating and spam from my friends is even more irritating. Do me a favor, before you forward something, unless it is going to have real personal value to that person, check it out on snopes. They are really good at keeping track of internet garbage and helping you screen it out of your life and the lives of the people you care about.

No 1 of Consequence

No comments: